Wednesday, October 11, 2006

RUPUS

Hi, just call me Rupus! Analiese and I both chuckled when we heard this word come out of my doctors mouth the other day. I went to UCLA to see my rhuematologist on Monday. I have been avoiding my doctors and completely taking my great days for granted. At least from my doctor's perspective. She kind of gave me the stink eye when I told her that I have been avoiding her. I didn't want her to take it personally. I didn't think she understood me when I told her that I have been doing "GREAT"! She looked at me funny and asked me if it was because I was determined not to let my diseases affect me. I told her no, that it was answer to prayer. She still looked at me funny, then I thought "oh, she thinks I am crazy or doesn't believe in God". Well, then she walked up to me and started to do that thing to me that just makes me feel sick. She starts to push on my muscles and joints and I just wince in pain. As she does this she looks at Manuel and says "see that is why I asked you how she has been doing". Have I not been doing well? Have I just been imagining the last couple of months? I start to doubt everything my body has felt within the last couple of months. She then looked at me and told me that I am not doing great. "You're still very swollen this is not good" she says. So she tells me once again that I obviously have a very high pain tolerance. This is the point at which I can see God, again He is proving to me that He is my pain management. "How Great is Our God"? I just see it more and more with every visit that I go to. Every doctor tells me just how bad it is. I know it's bad I can feel the things that are happening to my body but it's just not like before. I can get up, I can walk, I can joke, and most of all I can love. There is no doubt in my mind that He is giving me the ability to do these things. I know that this body, this temporary outfit, is deteriorating and that's fine. I will fight for HIS will, not mine.
Okay so anyway, RUPUS! My doctor calls me RUPUS! No, it's not a funny name, it is a temporary diagnosis. The combination of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus. Yep! That is me! She thinks that as my disease progresses I will go more toward Lupus. It is not like a cold or other diseases where one blood check or scan can show it. It is an illness that will become more apparent as it progresses. She says my disease process is A-typical. Of course it is! It wouldn't be Julie O if it wasn't!
p.s. spell check suggested I replace RUPUS with RUFUS!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm so glad I got to meet you face to face Julie. You have a spirit for life that not many people have. You are inspiring. I pray that the diseases don't take that from you. Don't hide from those doctors girl ;)