Wednesday, September 13, 2006

DOES IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS?








So, Analiese and I were reading of the Greece vs. Persia War in 490 B.C. Then I noticed that Isabella was at the other end of the couch asleep. She had been reading two dictionaries, which she told me she needed to do. How funny is it though that she just so happened to be on the same page that had the definition of colonnade, column and combat? Too cute. Hey you never know maybe the information will be transferred though osmosis and she will become a historian.
I even learned something today. My very smart and beautiful friends Liz and Julie probably already know this. I learned that the word marathon and its definition as we know it today derive from the Greece vs. Persia war. The Greek Athenians met the Persian army of Darius and won them in battle even though they were way out numbered. A man had to deliver the message of victory to Athens, which was 26 miles away, and did it without stopping. He did this even after he had run 150 miles two days prior. After he got to Athens and announced the news he dropped dead. So that is why we call them marathons and why they are 26 miles.
I am so happy to have learned that today and I am happy to have done it with my girls. Maybe most people know this tid-bit of info already but for me it's news. Pretty cool stuff. Okay I'm done.
God Bless!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Well I didn't really know that Julie so :p on Liz.
What a cute picture!

Julie said...

At least I knew Liz would know! Don't worry, I will keep blogging. Haven't seen Marathon Man. Sorry Mr. H. At least Laura learned something.

Just Say Julie said...

what a cutie pie!

i haven't seen marathon man either yet....for some reason i thought that was a weird schwarzenegger movie.....