Thursday, February 04, 2010

A drive

I grabbed a coffee, opened the sunroof, turned on the iPod, and started my drive. I had a choice, take the coastal scenic route or the busy bumper to bumper freeway. I chose the freeway. I know it sounds nuts. Who would do that? Well, someone who hasn't had the oportunity to be busy in quite some time. I haven't been "allowed" or "able" to drive out of the city in a year and on top of that have never in 6 years driven myself to UCLA for a doctors appointment. So I was looking forward to this. I felt like an independent woman. Someone who didn't need a "babysitter" or a "caretaker". A normal person! I loved being just another car on the busiest freeway in California.

I arrived a little late. Remember, I said it was bumper to bumper. I rushed in to the building and I'm talking "rushed". I was walking REALLY fast. I remember at one moment taking it all in and hearing the sound of my heels click clack loudly with each step. I was amazed in that instant at how far God has brought me. The struggles along the way are nothing compared to the freedom I now feel. To walk myself into a doctors office, to drive myself, and to take care of myself. HE has gifted me with the ability and has wiped away all inability.

My simple drive gave me so much more than a day in traffic. It gave me the reminder of how precious life is and how blessed we are to be ABLE.

Sent via my iPhone ; )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember being at a woman's breakfast 8 years ago and Jodi spoke about current concerns not seeming like such a big thing when you are on the other side of it. Perspective was the word she used a bit.

I love your perspective to be able to celebrate traffic and rushing. And I can totally hear you click click clicking into the building, then stopping to laugh, and nobody really knows why.

What a victory today was for you. Yay, God!

(I get the best word verifications... sindum)

Geneva said...

Awesome! I am so excited for your great achievements!!! :)